Re: Using unallocated address space

  • From: Philip Smith
  • Date: Thu Feb 15 07:57:59 2001

At 22:56 12/02/2001 -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Mon, 12 February 2001, John Fraizer wrote:
> Any time a network is caught announcing non-allocated address space, the
> registry should bill them accordingly.  If they refuse to pay, the
> registry should yank their ASN.  That would be strong encouragement to do
> the right thing.

Other than making it difficult for people to figure out WHOIS using that
ASN, "yanking" an ASN's registration has little practical effect.  You
can use an un-allocated ASN almost as easily as using an un-allocated
address block.
And announcing both unallocated address space and unallocated AS space will mean an entry in my little summary which I send out every week to RIPE NCC, ARIN and APNIC mailing lists...

I've see these:

Network Origin AS Description
39.96.40.224/30 14408 iCAIR
50.198.0.0/16 2548 Digital Express Group, Inc.
91.16.23.0/24 11770 Net56
103.22.7.0/24 9768 PubNet (Korea Telecom)

And the large amount of private and unallocated ASes has already been mentioned on the list this week...

Someone is watching, it's another issue what to do about it, if anything can be done at all...

philip