Re: BGP deployment and peering questions

  • From: Ryan O'Connell
  • Date: Thu Feb 15 03:53:13 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:00:55AM -0500, Daniel L. Golding wrote:
[snip various points that I agree with]

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
> > A Cisco 3640 with 64Mb will (Or at least did) just about handle a BGP
> > feed from two or three peers. Memory requirements (And CPU requirements)
> > increase with the number of peers, but 192Mb should be plenty for most
> > applications.
>
> Not any more. We have had customer try this configuration and go to malloc
> hell. 128mb is the minimum for a full view these days. A Riverstone RS8000
> or a Cisco 3640 will handle several full views nicely with 128mb. Remember
> the 3640 won't go above 128mb, though. A 3660 or a SSR makes a nice CPE
> box if you need 256mb.

Unless Cisco have changed something, a 3640 can only take 64Mb of memory max.
You'd need a 3660 for 128Mb.

You can get away with a Cisco 3640 for full BGP, but it does depend on the
cards you have installed. NM-1A-T3 is a memory hog for example, but if
you've only got NM-2E2Ws you're probably OK. You might also need to tweak
iomem, but later IOS releases do this for you. 11.2 might be a better
choice for BGP-speaking 3640s are the memory requirements are lower.

--
Ryan O'Connell - <[email protected]> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time