Re: OSU finally plans to fix their open relays!

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Wed Feb 14 18:45:49 2001

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> After years of having tons of SPAM go through their servers, knowing about
> it and refusing to close their open relays, OSU has decided that perhaps
> they want to be able to send email and not have it bounce with a MAPS or
> ORBS message.
>
> They flat out admit that they had their servers set as open relays
> INTENTIONALLY in the following release:
>
> http://www.oit.ohio-state.edu/newsroom/openrelay.html

Typical of the attitude of many universities towards spam in particular,
and security in general. It IS about time. I don't appericate our[0] taxes
being used to support open relays.

> Not that I don't appreciate this greatly but, OSU: It's about %^#%^&#
> time!

They're only doing it to get off blacklists. I guarantee it. I've seen
some recent exchanges between the anti-spam community and a few large
Midwestern colleges (specifically, Washington University and the U of
Illinois at Chicago) where people requested that relays be closed and
received a LOT of static for doing so.

Cheers, SJS.

[0] "Our" = "Ohio residents'"

--
Steve Sobol, BOFH, President    888.480.4NET 866.DSL.EXPRESS 216.619.2NET
North Shore Technologies Corporation   http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net