RE: Using unallocated address space

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Wed Feb 14 09:23:54 2001

At 09:47 PM 2/13/2001 -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Tue, 13 February 2001, "Brett L. Hawn" wrote:
> Here I go being silly again, but how about people take responsability for
> their own networks and filter properly at their borders? All this talk of
> how to enforce things is pretty meaningless when you have countless members
> of NANOG itself half-assing their own networks and complaining about other
> people's.

Because this is only half the answer.

I always filtered my announcements, was careful to register all the
address blocks I used, and was very responsible for my own network.
It had no effect on someone else hijacking one of my addresses and
announcing it through a large ISP's route tables.

I was effectively cut off the network not because of anything I did, or
could control.  Worse there was little I could do to fix it.  I had to
wait three days for the large ISP (with whom I had no direct relationship)
engineer's to decide it was worth their effort to stop the source
of the false announcement.

Unfortunately this is not a unique occurance.  Cable&Wireless, Sprint,
AT&T and UUNET have all had portions of their service knocked off the
Internet for various periods of time due to bogus announcements.  Until
other ISPs fix their policies, I can knock your network off most of the
Internet, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Hehe. Sprint is the worst offender, but once in a good way. Once I sunk Cyberpromo
to null0 and my filters were wrong and propagated. In this case, it took Sprint
3 days to deal, but it was a good 3 days. No spam. :)

In the normal sense, I hate to say it, but...shit happens. I typcially use the "Emergency
NOC" list that Sean created if I need something to be fixed.

Is it really taking people days to get bogon announcements fixed?

-M

Regards,

--
Martin Hannigan [email protected]