Abovenet BGP upgrade problems

  • From: jfielding
  • Date: Tue Feb 13 16:22:17 2001

On Sunday night, Abovenet upgraded their BGP sessions and ever since then
I've been receiving an incomplete BGP table.  They sent a nice message
telling me of the upgrade(see below) but it appears that they wiped out
10,000 networks from their BGP advertisements.

The networks included www.microsoft.com, nitrous.digex.net, and a /15 client
network.  It's been causing problems for my network and I've had a ticket
open with Abovenet for over 24 hrs.  They added the networks that I
complained about to their advertisement, but I don't know how to get a diffs
of the 10,000 networks that I'm missing.

The output from my BGP summary is...
93736 network entries and 187404 paths using 15463992 bytes of memory

The output from nitrous.digex.net shows...
106558 network entries and 528694 paths using 28942878 bytes of memory

Are any other Abovenet customers experiencing the same problems?

Thanks,
Jay Fielding
iXL, Inc.
Network Engineer