BGP deployment and peering questions

  • From: Pyda Srisuresh
  • Date: Tue Feb 13 16:07:25 2001

Hi,

I have a couple of questions concerning BGP deployment. I would
appreciate any feedback from folks knowledged in the deployment.
Thanks very much.

1. What is the maximum no. of peers a core-BGP peers with externally?
   What is a good average or median number? How does this vary with
   Tier-1 BGP speakers vs. Tier-2 BGP speakers? Also, What is an
   average no. of peers a BGP border router multi-homes with? (Do not
   include Border routers with a single ISP peer - only the multi-homed
   border routers)

2. I understand, an AS by itself does not originate more than
   10,000 (UUnet being the one with this many) subnets. But,
   I believe, when you peer with a tier-1 ISP BGP speaker, you
   will get AS Paths for the entire 90,000+ routes (or whatever
   the maximum core routing tabel size is) exchanged at BGP
   connection setup time. On the other hand, I believe, the number
   of routes exchanged to be much less when you peer with a tier-2 BGP.
   What is a resonable average size of routing entries you could
   expect from a tier-2 ISP (and even a Tier-1 ISP, for that matter)?

3. Do yo have an estimate of memory requirements for some of the core
   routers (peering with tier-1 ISPs or tier-2 ISPs)? Is there a
   relation with the number of BGP peers?

Thanks.

Regards,
suresh