Re: [NANOG] /24's run amuck?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Wed Feb 07 00:42:29 2001

Anyone have better contact inside Telstra? I sent the following about a week ago with no response yet:

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:30:10 +0200
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
From: Hank Nussbacher <[email protected]>
Subject: Telstra and global routing table bloat

AS1221 has been known for some time now to be sending out too many prefixes not based on CIDR boundries, thereby increasing the global router table size:

ASnum NetsNow NetsCIDR NetGain % Gain Description
AS1221 1652 1215 437 26.5% TELSTRA-AS

I hope Telstra can take the time to add the appropriate BGP filters so that the we all do not suffer from global router table bloat.

Thanks,
Hank
Thanks,
Hank

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:

> BTW who is AS 1221? That block is listed as allocated by ARIN, but ARIN
> has nothing in the whois for them.

[whois.radb.net]
aut-num:       AS1221
as-name:       TELSTRA-AS
descr:         TELSTRA-AS
admin-c:       GIH105
tech-c:        DW187
notify:        [email protected]
mnt-by:        MAINT-AS1221
changed:       [email protected] 19990506
source:        RADB

aut-num:       AS1221
as-name:       ASN-TELSTRA
descr:         Telstra Pty Ltd
               Locked Bag No. 5744
               GPO, Canberra, ACT, 2601
admin-c:       GH105-AP
tech-c:        DW187-AP
remarks:       AS assigned by the former InterNIC
remarks:       Object automatically converted from the APNIC(RIPE181) registry

Seems some special odd transfer between ARIN and APNIC.

HTH. HAND.
Pi