Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: Joe Rhett
  • Date: Sun Feb 04 00:45:24 2001

> >My god, are there really this many idiots out there that don't grasp how
> >the world works?
>
> See, i'm sitting here thinking the same thing.
>
> Have you ever maintained a (bind|sendmail|etc) machine in a production,
> internet connected environment? I'm not talking about a corporate LAN,
> beind PIX's, etc.

Yes, all the time. In fact, we have local patches to all of the above that
we have to integrate into each new release, so I fully understand the
problem, HOWEVER ...

> Jeez.  If I waited for Sun to issue patches and upgrades, I would have
> been hacked a long time ago....And, I feel sorry for anyone that does wait
> for them.

I do too. But I spent 3 years working in NAVSEA where we couldn't implement
the most basic security patch until it arrived through the S&R, was checked
in through the right channels, was signed into my hands, etc.

Whether you feel it is stupid or not, these people exist and these people
have needs. There's no reason not to support both sets of environments.

> I cannot believe that there are people that are really using (and not to
> pick on Sun at all) Sun's bind and sendmail (and now apache).  Apparently
> you live in a very straightforward world, and have no need for
> customization.  Must have a real easy job.
> (Sorry for the negativity).

Yes, and I'm sure that everyone sitting on their heels dealing with those
environments thanks you as well. Let's be rude to anyone that doesn't meet
our personal design philosophy, why don't we?

Hang out with Greg Woods much?

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
[email protected]                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/