Re: BIND, djbdns, commercialization

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 20:10:24 2001

      On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Adam Rothschild wrote:
    > I'd give some thought to using BIND again -- even paying for it --
    > if some commercial Vixie entity put out something like:
    >
    > 	lynx -dump http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/guarantee.html | sed -e s/"D. J. Bernstein"/ISC/g -e s/djbdns/BIND/g

If I had a nickle for every time I've heard somebody tell a salesperson
"sure I'd buy your product if it only did X skanky customer-specific hack"
I wouldn't need to work for a living.

So let me make sure I understand this: You're saying you'd pay for
something that's currently free, if they would in turn pay people for
reporting bugs, which people currently do for free.  Is that right?

If that's what you're saying, why don't you just pay them directly?  I
think the BIND project can better use its resources working on BIND than
acting as a clearinghouse for your beneficence.

                                -Bill