Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 19:51:14 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Adam Rothschild wrote:

> Why not just notify everyone at once?  That way, when vulnerabilities
> are discovered, people can take whatever action they deem appropriate
> to protect their infrastructure (write/release their own set of BIND

It seems obvious, the goal is to get the root-servers upgraded and OS
vendors notified so they can release patches/updates before holes become
public knowledge.

As someone else mentioned, some OS vendors have histories of taking an
unreasonably long time to release updates for known vulnerabilities.

If the main goal is simply to help the net continue to function, it might
make sense to have a multi-tiered bind-members set of groups.  BIND
developers would be the first to know about things, since they maintain
the code.  Root-servers would be first to get security
notifications/updates.  Then OS vendors would be notified (since this is
the level I expect most likely to cause information leaks).  Perhaps then,
after a predetermined period of time, the notification goes public,
whether all the vendors have released updates or not.

It seems we already have the beginnings of this system.  The [currently
known] holes in <8.2.3 were found and fixed.  The root-servers all got
upgraded.  Then we got a message posted around midnight EST friday night
on nanog (not bugtraq) with alot less detail than the average bugtraq post
basically saying, "there's holes...you better upgrade".  At that point,
it's off to the races.  You can bet people downloaded source for 8.2.3 and
compared its code to previous versions looking for the holes.  Did you
upgrade before the first cracker found a hole and wrote an exploit?

I think ISC is trying to avoid this scenario in the future, but it's
unavoidable.  Suppose things had gone differently.  Instead of Vixie's
post friday night, sometime the following week we see a post from someone
(I guess it wouldn't be ISC if they plan to let CERT handle security
announcements...but CERT generally doesn't move very fast...so it wouldn't
be from them:) on bugtraq notifying us that new holes have been found, and
listing the various vendors who have updates ready and their update
instructions.  At that point, we're pretty much back in the same situation
as friday night / saturday morning except that the upgrade process is a
little easier, much easier for the compiler challenged (or those
unfortunate people running OS's where development tools cost extra).

I think this is slightly preferable to what happened this time, as long as
the time periods are kept short.  The longer it takes for a security
notification to go public, the more time we have for the information to
leak to the cracker community where you can bet an exploit will be
written and circulated.

If you read this far, thanks.  I didn't intend to ramble on so long.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |