Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 18:40:30 2001

> > Will these 141 organizations many of whose business relies on BIND be
> > eligible for your fee-based list? Do they consitute providers
> > of "critical infrastructure" in your eyes?

No.  90% of the name servers on the Internet fit that classification.
"Restricted notification" is not practical on that scale.

> Considering that they have a positive revenue model (vs TLD registries that
> don't, or have negative revenue models) I would suggest that they pay for it
> and help support ISC/BIND.

Of course, everyone should support ISC.  And the Sierra Club for that matter.
But "should they support ISC?" is a completely different question than "if we
don't get them upgraded before the whole world knows about it, are we doomed?"