BIND 9 vs djbdns

  • From: Dave 'Duke of URL' Weiner
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 17:35:44 2001

Long time reader, first time poster :)

I've been following the recent thread about BIND.  I have upgraded to the latest
version, and I am not considering either an upgrade to BIND 9 or switching to djbdns.

For those of you who have upgraded from 8.2.3 to 9.x, how difficult was it for you?
Did you see a marked improvement in performance?

For those of you who have switched from BIND 8.x to djbdns, how difficult was it for
you?  Are there any how-to's or detailed step-by-step walk through's that describe a
reasonably sane way to upgrade?  I've read all the docs on djbdns, and once the
conversion is done, it looks pretty simple to administer, and work it into some of my
automated setup tools.  I'm more concerned with the conversion from BIND 8.

I've been using DJB's qmail for 3 or 4 years now, so I'm very comfortable with his
coding and restrictions, but I don't want to switch just because it's djb.  I want to
make an informed decision.

So, please limit your comments to technical merit, ease of use, etc.  This whole
hub-bub about the security notifications, etc. is very low on my list as a factor in
upgrading or changing.

Thanks,

Dave Weiner
CTO, WebMasters, Inc.