Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: Patrick Greenwell
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 17:20:19 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> > Will the ISC implement similar policies with its INN and DHCP software
> > in the foreseeable future, or is this something unique to BIND?
>
> I don't see INN or DHCP as critical to the internet's infrastructure, so, no.

You mentioned in your pre-announcement TLD operators being eligible for
this new list, but made no mention of domain name registrars.

I count 141 ICANN "fully: accrediated domain name registrars, with an
unknown number of secondary registrars due to systems like OpenSRS.

These organizations collectively handle second-level name resolution for
the overwhelming majority of the millions of .com, .net, and .org domains
in use on the Internet. And while I haven't done a survey, I'd surmise
that they overwhelmingly use BIND.

Will these 141 organizations many of whose business relies on BIND be
eligible for your fee-based list? Do they consitute providers of "critical
infrastructure" in your eyes?