Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 15:24:54 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Jeffrey Meltzer wrote:

> I mean, if you're going to charge for it, and have NDA's, why not allow
> anyone to pay for it?  Depending on the price, if you're giving the info
> to "selected people", I know i'd pay for it (well, depending on the
> price).  How do I know there's not going to be some script kiddie at Sun
> or somewhere that gets a hold of the information before I do, and doesn't
> care about an NDA?

Obviously, they don't want people signing up who are only interested in
the information for cracking purposes...but I find it very hard to believe
vendors can be notified without vulnerability info being leaked.  How many
people at how many vendors are going to get early warning of the next big
hole?  Do you really think they're going to be able to put in the time to
get the update ready ASAP without the fact that a new hole exists being
leaked?  I don't.

Does anyone know yet what they plan to charge or if they even plan to
charge uniformly?  By "not-for-profit" members, do they mean actual legal
(for tax purposes)  non-profit organizations, or just anyone who doesn't
directly profit from use/distribution of BIND?  When GateD went this
route, I was able to get an A&R (Academic and Research) license for
free...but that license prevented me from actually using the restricted
gated code at work.  Will ISC be as free with the free memberships as the
GateD Consortium was?

> All of a sudden this djbdns is starting to sound like an idea...

Except he's got his own set of restrictions that make it a PITA to rely on
his code.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |