Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 14:13:55 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 10:24:58AM -0800, Paul Vixie wrote:
> Wrt the bind-members forum being discussed to death elsewhere,
> nobody can pay for early warnings.  CERT will still be the source of
> early earnings.  What people can pay for (bind-members
> participation) is the legal fees associated with NDA-level access to
> early fixes, if and only if they provide part of the internet's
> basic infrastructure (e.g., OS vendors and TLD server operators).

I'm a bit confused.  Under this arrangement, what incentive is there
for security-conscious common people to run BIND as a name server,
rather than its various alternatives, most of which don't require
preferential treatment in order to get timely security
advisories/fixes?

Will the ISC implement similar policies with its INN and DHCP software
in the foreseeable future, or is this something unique to BIND?

-adam