Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Thu Feb 01 02:21:43 2001

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:00:51AM -0500, Jason Lewis wrote:

> All of the recent list traffic got me thinking about why people aren't
> upgrading.  Maybe some insight?
>
> I have several name servers.  I have inherited them from admins that didn't
> seem to know what they were doing and I cannot upgrade one of them at all.
> It would require a total rebuild.  I have upgraded the rest to 8.2.3.
>
> Another reason I haven't put more effort into it, is because I am waiting
> for two brand spanking new servers to arrive.  I don't have the time to
> rebuild a name server I will trash in less than a week.  Russian Roulette, I
> know.

One word: backups

Is that word even heard around offices these days? I see far too many
computers and far too few tape drives.. Kinda scary.

> Is it pretty common to be understaffed and overworked?  I can't believe I
> just asked that.  I am always overworked with next to no help, but it seems
> that recently things are worse.  Is that true all around?
>
> Anyone else in similar situations?

Oh no, not at all. Its just you. ;-)

> Also, anyone else see a HUGE increase in scans for port 53?  I mean out of
> control scans.

53, 111, and 137 are the most common scans I trap at my
firewall. Interesting bit with the scans to port 53 lately is that
they're hitting the port 2 and 3 times, not just the usual once to
identify and then move on.

-Wayne