Re: Not a good day now stuff from here is on BBC

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Thu Feb 01 01:48:07 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Henry R. Linneweh wrote:

> I understand that, the issue I had with this is in the presentation
> "Major net security holes identified", Should have read "Major net
> security holes fixed " this would have been fair to Paul and crew.
> is all I am saying.....

I think that with the remote-shell exploit just released on Bugtraq the
next article will have to revert to "Major security hole found - chaos
ensues".

In an informal survey of about two dozen hosts (upstreams, friends,
well-known corporations), myself and a coworker found that all of them
were running vulnerable versions.  Of course it's possible some of these
are running as user "bind", maybe chrooted, maybe firewalled, but I'd bet
the majority aren't.

Add up all the broadband users running some unix box as their gateway and
running whatever version of bind came with their distro, and I think
you'll find that there will be thousands more cracked boxes come tomorrow
a.m.

Pair all this with the current crop of DDoS tools and I think you'll find
that this is one of the worst bugs to crop up in a long time.

Charles