Re: Greg, you're tryin' too hard

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Mon Jan 29 17:02:08 2001

[[ Sorry folks, but because Jay is being stupid, I'm going to be stupid too.  ]]
[[ at least I set the Reply-To:  !!! ]]

[ On Monday, January 29, 2001 at 10:33:34 (-0500), Jay R. Ashworth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Greg, you're tryin' too hard
>
> If a A record with no MX record was A Bad Thing, sendmail, postfix, and
> M-Sexchange would no doubt have quit delivering to them years ago.

Postfix, Exim, *and* Smail all include the ability to do identical (or
at least very similar) checks on the SMTP protocol commands and
parameters.

Folks like me who don't like spam yet seem to get a lot of it targetted
at them (and/or their domain -- it was a good idea at the time, before
the Internet took off! :-), are entirely likely to enable those checks,
which means folks who don't pay attention to the details in their mailer
and DNS configurations will lose.

I don't care if one or two people can't send me e-mail so long as the
majority works (and let me tell you, the majority certainly works!) --
that's their problem, not mine.  Unless your mailer is listed in one of
the RBLs, I'm not going to permanently block your e-mail if you're
willing to fix your configurations.

> BTW, Greg:  On my carbons to your two other addresses?  The envelope
> addresses *weren't* *mine*: you were being overly picky on the *body*
> *address*.  So bugger off.

That would be magic beyond my capabilities since my mailer cannot look
in the body of the message (at least not yet).  If you're getting
bounces from my mailer when you 'CC' another of my addresses then it's
because your SMTP envelope sender address is bogus.  Fix it.  I'm not
even going to bother looking in my logs to see just how bogus it is and
recommend a way to fix it.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>