Re: Static IP distribution

  • From: Eric Sobocinski
  • Date: Sat Jan 27 23:25:40 2001

It's possible theoretically but not in the real world. Nice idea though. Your major headache is that DHCP isn't defined to work that way. :-) Right now the DHCP model assumes that any static mapping can depend upon a hardware identifier, usually the MAC. It wouldn't be that hard to define an appropriate DHCP option to substitute something more arbitrary like a VC identifier, but to my knowledge no one has done so. Beyond that, you've got to work with the problem that neither endpoint of a traditional DHCP session is ATM-aware. Generally a customer workstation is querying a DHCP server somewhere in an ISP server farm, and the ATM VC covers only an intermediate part of the path between them. I suppose that one could run a smaller DHCP server within each VC-terminating aggregation router, but that has its own set of administrative headaches, and again I don't believe anyone has done that. Even if that did work, you'd still have the problem that ATM VC identifiers aren't globally unique, and keeping them locally unique has scaling problems. And, as mentioned before you have problems if you have multiple addresses on one VC. If the access (DSL) provider is not also the ISP, it gets even worse. In other words, DHCP by ATM VC is a nice mind exercise but don't bother asking for it.

Not that I have any other solution in mind.

--eric

(speaking for myself and not representing my employer in any way)