Re: From Microsoft's site

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Jan 26 03:00:51 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:56:28 PST, Roeland Meyer said:
> You know, there are times, when I am so tired or stressed out that I will
> refuse to "su -". It took many, many, years of fixing the resultant
> problems, to formulate that policy and set the threshold. At that point, I
> don't care where the dead-line is, or how much $$$ is on the table. Because,
> I *know* that I'll scrog (neat word) it when I do.
>
> That router-tech needs to learn where their thresholds are.

I suspect that we've *not* heard the entire story yet, and that what was
classified as "operational error" was a reasonable response to something ELSE
that was running amok on the corporate net.

I also suspect that if/when the whole story comes out, we'll find that
the poor guys in the trenches did an admirable job of trying to fix
things while hamstrung by design decisions made by higher-ups and people
since departed. (Let's face it - if *one* of those 4 nameservers had
been in London with an IP somewhere in the 212/7 address block, nobody would have
blinked an eye....)

I also suspect that Dilbert will carry the least fictionalized version
of the truth.. ;)

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech