Re: Network diversity Software diversity

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Jan 26 02:52:01 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:40:50 PST, Roeland Meyer said:
> Okay, how do you do security, in Win2K, without a domain controller?
> How do you do a Win2K domain without active directory?

Contrary to what many puntits would have you believe, you don't
need to be in a domain and be running AD just to serve up static HTML.
Beware such pundits - they are probably trying to sell you either a software
or hardware upgrade. ;)

You don't even need to be running Win2K.  I hear even NT 4.0 does
a passable job once you install all the IIS patches. ;)

> > From: Eric Germann [mailto:[email protected]]
> >
> > Uhh, I highly doubt they have a requirement to run DDNS on
> > the front ends.  If all you're doing is serving up html pages
> > without user authentication, Win2K is perfectly happy with
> > its own internal account database.  DDNS is a pre-req for AD,

As Eric said.... you don't need bells and whistles.  And if you're
building a machine that *has* to work, you probably want to avoid
bellls and whistles, as broken bell and whistle parts get jammed in
the gears and cause failures....

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech