Re: History: lengthy outages

  • From: Brett Frankenberger
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 16:47:19 2001

> That was a different one, but I didn't have that data readily available.
> The cisco/bay bug I was thinking of was when Cisco's kept reseting all
> their BGP sessions when they saw a particular announcement from Bay routers.

IIRC (or maybe we're thinking of different outages), it was reversed.
There was an advertisement with a malformed AS_PATH attribute "out
there", Cisco's accepted it and passed it on (still in malformed form),
but Bay's (and some other non-Cisco implementations, such as gated)
correctly issued a Notify message and dropped the session upon receipt
of the malformed advertisement.

I believe there were two such outages (separated by a year or so)
before Cisco fixed the bug.

     -- Brett