Re: History: lengthy outages

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 13:36:22 2001

On Thu, 25 January 2001, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> UUNET cisco/bay router problems: November 7 1997 lasted 5 hours
> > /vijay "remembering entirely too well" gill
>
> if this is 129/8, then i believe that major providers were down for almost
> two days.

That was a different one, but I didn't have that data readily available.
The cisco/bay bug I was thinking of was when Cisco's kept reseting all
their BGP sessions when they saw a particular announcement from Bay routers.

There are a whole bunch of interesting problems I remember, but can't
find the date.

There was the Sprint "0.0.0.0" route problem.  There was the 129/8 which
happened shortly after AS7007.  There was an ANS bug in the ENSSs which
knocked them out.

I tried not to include "malicious" acts, such as DDOS since I think they
should be considered separately.  Although I recognize often the underlying
cause of the security issue may be related to operational error or bugs.