Re: Microsoft spokesperson blames ICANN

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 01:29:54 2001

[ On Wednesday, January 24, 2001 at 20:30:12 (-0500), Henry Yen wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Microsoft spokesperson blames ICANN
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:01:29AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Wednesday, January 24, 2001 at 13:09:45 (-0800), Roeland Meyer wrote: ]
>
> {OBofftopic: hmm, look at the two timestamps, above.  did greg reply to roeland's
> e-mail before it was written?}

As far as I can tell all my system clocks are close enough to true
network time that NTP hasn't been complaining!  :-)

Note though that my logs show my reply being sent at 18:01 -0500 and the
message came back to me with the date header intact and reading:

	Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:01:29 -0500 (EST)

so perhaps the error is actually in your MUA (i.e. in its formation of
the "On ... wrote:" line when preparing the quoted message).  Apparently
it gets the "AM" and "PM" wrong when converting from a 24-hour clock to
a 12-hour clock.  It should have written "06:01:29PM -0500".

> whoa, slow down...  microsoft apparently hasn't quite figured out what
> hit them (and in these later hours there's implications that there is
> more than one issue happening here).

In this particular case it's totally irrelevant what hit them.  They
needed to get at least one solid reliable replacement nameserver up and
running and answering on one of those IP addresses as soon as humanly
possible if they were to try an mitigate the damage.  If it were me and
running the show and if I had even a hint that there were malicious
agents responsible I'd have grabbed as many raw packets off the network
as I could conveniently and quickly store, then I'd have literally
pulled the plug on at least two of the machines and sent the works off
for forensic analysis while a new, slightly different, and far more
secure, machine was brought in to provide this most critical service.

Given the hindsight gained from reading their announcment (and guessing
what really happened), perhaps they even did that, but it shouldn't have
taken them so many more hours to figure out that the world still wasn't
seeing their DNS no matter what they did to those servers.

Of course it wouldn't have been nearly so critical an issue requiring
such quick and dirty action if they would have had more diverse DNS
servers.

Part of the problem of course is that they may not have percieved the
full extent of their problem as quickly as some of us from the outside
were imagining it to be, though that's somewhat difficult to understand,
especially given the nature of the discussion in open forums such as
this one....

I wouldn't have been "kicking" them while they were still down if it
wasn't that they'd clearly and obviously tied their own noose and
stepped into it and then pulled the lever on their own trap-door
themselves!

The comedy of errors in their recovery attempts and the enormous delay
in returning their DNS to operational status points out several grave
operational errors, but none of those errors should ever have caused any
visible problems in the first place -- the root cause of their problems
remains in the fact that they did not follow the best common practices
already well documented by other's who have learned these lessons from
the school of hard knocks.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>