Re: Network diversity Software diversity

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 00:36:12 2001
      On 24 Jan 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:
    > Using FreeBSD and BIND on *ALL* your name servers may be just as
    > bad a practice as using Windows 2000 and Microsoft DNS on *ALL*
    > your name servers. You might try... using Solaris on some of the
    > boxes and AIX or Linux, or NetBSD on the others.

Agreed.  The Nominum GNS service is still using BIND code everywhere for
the moment, but it's on heterogenous platforms, anyway...  Every location
has both Solaris-on-Sparc and NetBSD-on-Intel.  I think they have a free
or cheap way of using their network as secondaries, to try it out.  That
might be a good way to start.

                                -Bill