RE: Great job AT&T (re: Microsoft problems)

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 00:00:48 2001

However, I guarantee you that MSFT is and that their internal DNS is Win2K
Active Directory DNS and that they have at least one PDC. In fact, they've
bragged about how they finally were able to bring HotMail up on
Win2Kdatacenter. This means that they HAD to deploy Win2K/DNS.

> > My info says that MSFT only tested sufficiently with Win2K
> DNS. Integration
> > with BIND was not considered especially important. This, in
> spite of the
> > trip Vix made to NSFT, Summer '99 (where the SRV fixes came
> from). It is
> > supposed to work, but the config is a nightmare of
> exceptions and special
> > cases.
>
> But again, that's a Microsoft issue.

I think we are all agreed that it is probably an MSFT issue. But, your
suggestion, of MSFT deploying BIND8, is not workable.

> I will give Microsoft points for making their DNS server
> really easy to
> configure. I will acknowledge not only that Bind is harder to
> configure
> for someone who doesn't know it, but has the problems Roeland
> mentions.
> Bind ain't perfect either, but it works, and it isn't produced by an
> organization that thinks that Its Way is the Only Way(tm).

I just deployed a root-server cluster, on COL Linux, bind-8.2.2p7. I am able
to leave it with them because I ALSO installed WebMin-0.83, on a seprate IP
addr, for administration. I just thank God that they haven't migrated to
Win2K yet.

> Microsoft has a large enough market share that I feel that it is their
> obligation to make sure that their Internet products play nice with
> the rest of the Net. Regardless of the fact that I dislike
> their business
> practices, if they'd just work harder towards that end, I'd
> complain about
> them a lot less than I now do.

Agreed, whole heartedly!

ref: HALLOWEEN I & II, for speculation of why they don't play nice.