Re: Monitoring highly redundant operations

  • From: Henry Yen
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 23:50:44 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:32:04AM -0600, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:09:19PM -0500, Henry Yen wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 02:31:20AM -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:
> > > Not to pick on Dave, since I suspect he is going to have to face
> > > the Microsoft PR department for re-indoctrination for speaking out
> > > of turn, I'm glad to see someone from microsoft made an appearance.
> >
> > out of curiosity, how do you know he's really from microsoft,
> > whether unofficial or not?
> > (he might be one of those LIENUX ZeAlOtS.)
> >
> > perhaps he might face re-indoctrination over the mail client he
> > is (apparently) using, as well as the mail server software he
> > is (apparently) using:
>
> This is getting a little stupid now, don't you think(and if you don't
> think so maybe you're one of those M1CR0S0FT Z34L0TS h0h0h0h0h0)?

i hope you'll note that i just tacks onto sean donelan's thread, where
he states '... suspect he is going to face ...', and i added an
observation prefaced with '... he might face ...'.  pick on sean, not me.
also:

> #1) He works for microsoft. I can personally attest to that.

that's fine.  i've been lurking on this list for a long time and don't
remember seeing much traffic from this person.  that someone else
will vouch for him is the correct response.

> #2) He seems to want to sincerely state that:
> 	a) microsoft acknowledges the problem
> 	b) microsoft is working on the problem
> 	c) microsoft isn't globally affected by this
>     ... even on a possibly unofficial basis. Information is good.

i only partially agree.  it is a fact that many things from big
companies (microsoft being only yet another big company) are guesses,
projections, wet dreams, and/or FUD.  especially since his response
contained almost no information other than a)/b)/c), above, all not
particularly useful to {na}nog-ers, IMHO.  and topped off with
"i wish i could disclose more but i can't".  perhaps better not
to say anything instead of seeding suspicions or raising expectations.

> #3) Just because a person may work for one Evil Empire or another
>     doesn't mean that they are forced to use their operating system
>     or MUA. I work for a company that has a mail product that a
>     considerable amount of people use, and I don't use it. This is
>     an acceptable practice at a lot of companies.

it's probably not a secret that i'm not microsoft's biggest ally.
nevertheless, i find it curious that you appear to be implying that
you think i said he works for an evil empire.

as far as mail software
is concerned, your statement is factually correct, but how often does
it apply to companies who make/manufacture/distribute an e-mail product
(especially *their own*), as it is in this case?

> #4) He is as furthest from a linux zealot as you can possibly be.

obviously, i was insensitive by not adding a smiley to the following
characters:
     LIENUX ZeAlOtS

i humbly apologize.

you would be advised to note that i am, as far as i can remember, one
of the only 2 (or 3) people who've defended microsoft in the role of
aggrieved network operator (on nanog), at least until we all find out
what really happened.  if we get a complete, accurate, and verifiable
(inasmuch as that's possible) report from microsoft backed up with
additional personal insight from [email protected], then we'll all
be richer for the experience.  let's see if that happens...

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York