RE: Great job AT&T (re: Microsoft problems)

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 22:38:13 2001

The problem is that a PDC requires SRV updates on the zone. Only
BIND-8.2.2p7 can do this and it's not clear that it runs sufficiently well
(consider that feature as beta verging on alpha, IMHO). Certainly, the
configuration is as clear as mud... way too much magic.

My info says that MSFT only tested sufficiently with Win2K DNS. Integration
with BIND was not considered especially important. This, in spite of the
trip Vix made to NSFT, Summer '99 (where the SRV fixes came from). It is
supposed to work, but the config is a nightmare of exceptions and special
cases.