Re: Great job AT&T (re: Microsoft problems)

  • From: Chris Cappuccio
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 18:59:10 2001

Oh, come on....

If you query direct to Microsoft's DNS servers, they return MX records
happily, but they time out rather then return an A record.

This seems more obviously like a software problem, rather then DDoS, or
ICANN, who apparently controls Microsoft's DNS servers (laugh out loud)

"We don't manage the DNS ourselves, it is a system controlled by the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) with worldwide replicas."

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Dave McKay wrote:

 | jamie rishaw ([email protected]) wrote:
 | > So, does anyone know what really is going on (from a technical POV) ?
 |
 | Microsoft's ITG is investigating this issue.  I haven't been clued in as
 | of yet as to what is the main issue.  Hotmail's graphs and logins are
 | currently following the same trends as normal, they seem unaffected,
 | however this is not the case in all locations.  DNS seems to be the
 | obvious choice for the blame.  This is not the case in all areas, however.
 | At this point Microsoft is not willing to put the blame on anyone, or
 | any protocol for that matter.  (Unless they already released a public
 | statement saying so, then who knows?)  Anyway, the issues are being worked
 | on and service will be restored as soon as possible.  I apolozise for not
 | being able to disclose more information.
 |
 | --
 | Dave McKay
 | [email protected]
 | Microsoft Global Network Architect

---
Rev. Chris Cappuccio -=- http://www.dqc.org/~chris/

"If you don't turn on to politics, politics will turn on you"
       - Ralph Nader