RE: Labeling and naming

  • From: Jason Lixfeld
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 13:06:33 2001

I'll use your reply as a template:

Device naming convention:

   <2 letters of the state/province abbreviation>
   <3 letters of city code>
   <3 letters of POP location>
	<unless there is only one POP in the city, then this field is blank>
   <1 letter describing device type>
	a = RAS Server/Access device (including remote console devices)
	s = Switch
	r = Router
   <2 letter device abbreviation>
	12 = Cisco 12000 Series
	75 = Cisco 7500 Series
	50 = Cisco Catalyst 5000 Series
	65 = Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series
	p3 = Lucent PM3
	58 = Cisco AS5800
	etc..
   <2 digit device sequence identifier>
   <x letter/digit interface ID/number>

   Examples:

	ON-TOR-FRN-R12-01-POS11-2
	Ontario, Toronto, Front St.  Cisco 12000, #1, POS, slot 11, port 2

	BC-VAN-HBR-R75-04-A9-0-1
	British Columbia, Vancouver, Harbour Center, Cisco 7500 Series, #4,
ATM, linecard 9, slot 0, interface 1

	AB-CAL-A53-01-32
	Alberta, Calgary, Cisco AS5300, #1, dialup port 32

	NOTE:  DNS for the devices themselves (for telnet, ssh, snmp, etc)
are identicle to 	the above, except the interface information is not
included.