Re: Name server problems? or did Microsoft forget to pay their billagain?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 06:52:03 2001

Sean;

   Sounds like it was corruption of the DNS table :

http://www.msnbc.com/news/519306.asp

from the article

The database that includes this information is called a DNS Table. On
Saturday, MyDomain.com accidentally released a DNS table to the world
that was full of errors, Lau said. The mistakes meant a small fraction of
Web surfers trying to visit Yahoo.com were instead sent to an IP address
inside MyDomains.com.

In addition to misdirecting
Yahoo.com and Microsoft.com
visitors, surfers trying to reach
MSN.com and a host of .net
sites also ended up at
MyDomains.com. In about a
four-hour period Saturday, some
50,000 new clicks were
registered on the MyDomains
page, and the number was still
rising at 5 a.m. ET.

Reminds me of Eugene Kashpureff...

--

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : [email protected]     http://www.on-the-i.com