RE: Tricky BGP into IGP Question

  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene
  • Date: Tue Jan 23 21:40:17 2001

Hello Tim,

I'm assuming that "1," "3," and "4" are separate AS numbers with "2a" and
"2b" in the same as providing transit ....... given that .....

The BCP for redistributing BGP into the IGP is just _NOT_ to do it.
Redistributing BGP into the IGP is a very dangerous thing to do. Besides,
the problem you described below has nothing to do with "1" routes being in
the IGP. They should not be in the IGP in the first place. The problem you
are describing sounds just like a recursive lookup failure on "1's" next-hop
information.

The subnet between 1 and 2a is not in the IGP. Hence, when 1's routes get to
2b, 2b will do a recursive look-up on 1's routes and have it fail (cause the
next hop is not in the forward table).

So one router 2b, check for a entry and pingability of subnet between 1 and
2a. The link between router 1 and 2a is an 'infrastructure' route, so you
want that in your IGP.

Barry