RE: Second day of rolling blackouts starts

  • From: mdevney
  • Date: Thu Jan 18 18:11:03 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> What's wrong with this picture? I see the generators, holding a shotgun at
> PG&E's neck, and telling the state that they'll pull the triggers if the
> state doesn't come up with the dough. They're not even wearing a mask! Yet,
> no one is seeing anything wrong with this and they're acting like it's
> PG&E's fault.

Also note that:

Half of these generators used to be owned and operated by PG&E; they were
spun off quickly after deregulation in an effort to boost profits.  Had I
been out of diapers at the time, I would have seen this day coming back
then.

Root cause, then: PG&E can't get us electricity because they decided
profit was more important than assured service.

As usual, I blame capitalism.  (Yes I am a pinko.)

Matthew Devney
Teamsphere Interactive