Re: Favorites (Re: UUNET peering policy)

  • From: Christian Nielsen
  • Date: Wed Jan 17 15:29:25 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> user->server: 2->4->3
> server->user: 3->1->2
>
> 	Consider what AboveNet does.  By honoring meds the following
> paths occur (abovenet as net 2 in the picture):
>
> user->server: 2->4->3
> server->user: 3->4->2

This assumes that the network you are peering with sends correct MEDs.
This also assumes that one always honors MEDs. What happens during fiber
cuts or when you are waiting for an upgrade on your circuits? Do you
continue to honor MEDs and hurt the customer?

Honoring MEDs is not Black and White. I dont know one large network that
honors all MEDs from every peer. For the most part, I would say that most
providers do 'warm' routing. it just depends on what degree of warm you
can live with.

Christian