RE: DOJ guidelines for electronic surveillance and search & seizure

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Wed Jan 17 14:09:39 2001

Interesting reading.   The part on what you can disclose and when based on the
type of Subpoena is interesting (and not what I had thought).

I see a big problem with the distinction between unread mail in POP (or IMAP)
accounts and read mail.  With POP mail we have no way of knowing (at least not
at our current log level) if a customer has actually checked e-mail and simply
left it on the server or not.  The law treats unread and read mail differently
and requires different orders to disclose it.

The usual -- INAL

Mark Radabaugh
VP, Amplex
(419)833-3635