Re: Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Tue Jan 16 23:28:56 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:43:31PM -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:
> >
> > 10 years ago, how many folks remember going to the phone company and
> > telling them "I need 600 phone lines in my basement."  And the phone
> > company replying, "No one needs 600 phone lines, here is 6." "No
> > really, I need 600 lines in the next 12 months."  The phone company
> > replies, "When you need them, then we'll install them." "How long will
> > it take."  The phone company replies, "Don't worry, we know what we're
> > doing, that's none of your concern."
>
> To be fair, if all the customers in a colo used the amount of bandwidth
> they predicted they would at the rate they would, current facilities would
> be out of capacity after a few dozen racks. Most customers can't predict
> for squat, so when a real figure comes along it takes more work to make
> sure its believable.
>
> --
> Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble
> PGP Key ID: 0x138EA177  (67 29 D7 BC E8 18 3E DA  B2 46 B3 D8 14 36 FE B6)

OK.  Your estimate might be correct for some companies.  With my company,
if a customer doesn't have a clue what they're going to draw, we monitor
them like a parole officer on steroids so there are no
misunderstandings.  Power is just as easy if you understand how to measure
it.  Get a new piece of equipment, measure its drain.  "Profile" it if you
will.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc