Re: Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Tue Jan 16 23:12:26 2001

Once upon a time, Roeland Meyer <[email protected]> said:
> The assumption is wrong. A server motherboard and CPU draws the same power
> regardless of what it's doing. Lap-tops and the like are different and you

Not necessarily.  For example, when a server is idle, Linux "halts" the
CPU between interrupts (instead of doing a "busy wait" loop).  This
significantly drops power usage and heat generated, which can also mean
lessfan power.

So, a busy Linux server generates more heat and uses more power than an
idle Linux server.

I think FreeBSD does the same; I don't know about other OSs.
--
Chris Adams <[email protected]>