Re: UUNET peering policy

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jan 15 11:53:05 2001

On Mon, 15 January 2001, Steve Meuse wrote:
> Then you have not made the same investment in infrastructure, and therefore
> are not a *peer*.

That sounds like the same argument AT&T made when MCI tried to connect
to its network.

AT&T currently has a market capitalization of $91 Billion
MCI/Worldcom currently has a market capitalization of $63 Billion
Sprint currently has a market capitalization of $25 Billion

Genuity currently has a market capitalization of $5 Billion

Yep, I would say Genuity is not a peer of either AT&T, Sprint or Worldcom.

Interconnection should be based on technical performance standards, not
on the size of your balance sheet.  I understand writing a performance
based requirement is much harder than a prescriptive based requirement.

Prescriptive: You will use OC-12 circuits.

Performance: You will be able to carry 150 Mbps of sustained traffic for
5 minutes with less than 1% packet loss.

If you want to use OC-12 circuits, great.  If you want to use ATM, great.
If you want to use quantum transfer, great.

What I object to is the requirement to make the "same" investment, i.e.
make the same mistakes.  Perhaps I wanted to make my investment in circuits
between the US and South America, so I have 150Mbps to Rio.  This is
essentially the argument that Telstra has been making to the UN and ITU.
Telstra makes very large investments in its part of the world, some might
argue even more than Worldcom invests.  But because Telstra doesn't sell
service in Virginia, none of that investment "counts."