Re: BGP keepalive/holdtime at GigE exchange

  • From: Clayton Fiske
  • Date: Fri Jan 12 17:26:23 2001

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 10:03:28PM +0000, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
> BGP is TCP-based, so there is no (easy) way of ensuring that the
> keepalives go to the top of the queue without possibly corrupting
> the routing data itself.

But perhaps TCP connection handling (for existing connections anyway,
so as not to make the router more susceptible to a SYN flood) could
be bumped up, at which point you could hand off routing updates into
one queue and keepalives into another.

I know it's much easier for me to say than it would be to code, but
it certainly seems doable and it sure could be a lifesaver during
routing storms.

-c