RE: IPIP-tunnel with 1500 MTU

  • From: Craig Holland
  • Date: Thu Jan 11 14:53:04 2001

I run a large global crypto WAN based on Cisco's IPSEC implementation.
We've found they do some strange things with MTUs on the tunnel interfaces.
The reason this happens is so the packet can contain gre or other
encapsulation and encryption information without exceeding the 1500MTU you
desire.  Typically, the packets travel with a 1500MTU over the IP networks.
If the crypto/tunnel device needs to fragment a packet to fit in the frame
given the header info, it will do this.

As a side note....it seems useful to make sure your border systems are
setting the 1500MTU.  This may be a good practice for other reasons, but it
seems to cut down on confusion when troubleshooting tunnels.  Other things
to look out for are misconfigured MPLS tunnels in your path.

craig

Network Engineer
Yahoo! Inc.
(408)731-3572