Re: UUNET peering policy

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Thu Jan 11 00:53:17 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:50:39PM -0800, Brian W. wrote:
> Theres been a bit of an update, see a link on www.slashdot.org.

Or not.  Here are a few notable quotes, for people too busy to read
the entire thread:

   "Wonderful- they're letting people 'peer' into their network. This
   will obviously just become another option for script kiddies to
   exploit. Us sysadmins go through years of training to SECURE
   systems, and now they go and let people peer into them. I bet they
   let people take files, too. Just like those piracy programs, but
   worse. Doesn't the thought of someone peering at your hard drive
   make anyone else nervous?"

   "Last I checked, AOL *only* 'peers' at MAE East, and refuses to
   private-peer with anyone, with the possible exception of Exodus. So
   I doubt they'd wanna play ball with UUNet anyway [...]"

Heh.  Further proof that Slashdot is (with a few exceptions, of
course) an excellent example of the blind leading the blind. ;)

-adam