RE: multiple origin ASes

  • From: Dmitri Krioukov
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 23:21:31 2001

Abha,

One of the origins :) of inconsistent routes is improper multihoming --
a network is multihomed but no public ASN is assigned to it; some private
ASN is used and stripped off (by remove-private-as) at the edges of
the both (or many) ISPs, which results in multiple origin ASs for the
network prefix. I don't know how intentional this practice is, though :)

The question about how bad inconsistent routes are was also addressed
on this list.
--
dima.