Re: net.terrorism

  • From: Jeff Haas
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 16:10:58 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 08:31:40AM -0500, Alex wrote:
> It's commonly accepted that if you announce a route, you can carry the
> packet to the intended and correct destination.

As much as I disagree with many of Sabri's opinions, the statement
above is what one normally thinks announcing a network means:
You originate it, you'll carry it.  If you propogate the announcement,
you'll carry it.

If some party decides that they're not going to route traffic
for a particular block, they should de-aggregate the announcement.

Yes, I realize what this does to the routing table size.  Yes, I
realize what this does to reachability (generating more specifics
by proxy).  But you're at least being honest what you're doing with
the network in question.

It would be convenient if there was an agreed upon methodology for
networks that filter certain hosts can inject informational routes
to let people know that announcements from them are "poisoned".
Perhaps this kind of thing belongs in the IRR.  But forcing people
to proxy deaggregate internally to deal with messy routes is just rude.

Perhaps this whole thread can be summarized as, "How does one make
not playing nice with each other scale?"

--
Jeffrey Haas - Merit RSng project - [email protected]