IX's

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 14:47:56 2001

All one has to do is look at PAIX. The whole system looks like it is being
used at real close to max capacity. I have a client at AboveNet and my
systems are on a CerfNet block. PAIX is between us. I feel their pain.

> Exchange points are major choke points, given that 80% or so
> of traffic
> crosses an IXP or bilaterial private interconnection.
> Despite the obvious
> advantages of the shared IXPs, the private interconnects between large
> backbones were a forced solution, purely for capacity reasons.

and they aren't keeping up with the growth.

This entire IX thread has been interesting. But, it appears to be one of
those "good theory, implementation sux" sort of things.