Re: net.terrorism

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 11:09:26 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > I'd rather get partial announcements than traffic-filtered announcements.
> > That way, my other network pipes (which hopefully have a path without
> > above.net in it to vuurwerk) will take over. above.net are happy.
> > vuurwerk is happy. life is good. no bitching or extra configuration.
>
> Isn't this just the kind of thing BGP communities can be used for?
>
> Perhaps rfc 1998 is applicable here, depending on Sabri's architecture,
> although one would probably have to go beyond the NOC frontline to have
> 6461 tag the blackhole announcements.
>
> Without having an above feed to hand, I couldn't say if they already do.

The problem with communities here is that:

* bgp communities apply to a route announcement, not an arbitrary network.
  The /16 is being announced here and passing through above.net, and if
  above.net wanted to tag the specific host they'd have to announce the /32.

* besides the few well-known ones, each router participating needs to
  know what the community maps to.

So unless I've missed something here, you can't use BGP communities.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Sex Change: a simple job of outside
<[email protected]>	  to inside plumbing."