Re: net.terrorism

  • From: Mark Mentovai
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 10:28:24 2001

Sabri Berisha wrote:
>They should not be announcing in the first place.

They aren't.

Above.net has an internal blackhole route for 194.178.232.55/32, but they do
not advertise it.  They are within their rights for maintaining this route
internally.  They are not exporting the host route.  I don't think this can
be made any clearer.

What Above.net is passing you is a route for the 194.178.0.0/16 network that
they receive from UUNet.  The decision to make use of this route or not is
yours.  You are paying them to carry your traffic, they haven't made any
promises that they can't keep.  They haven't tried to manipulate your
routing decision by sending you a more-specific.  You can't complain because
you send them something that they drop for policy reasons.  You agreed to
their terms when you signed up.  Even so, I can understand your frustration
over this incident, but you've got another route, so use it.

I think everyone agrees that this matter is closed.  I'll let you have the
last word if you'd like, but at this point, it's just going to be more
noise.

Mark