Re:

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 04:11:44 2001

> It is merely that an l3 exchange point over an l2 shared medium
> is a bad idea.

agreed.  the problem is that it's the best idea we've come up with so far
for folk who are willing to have a lot of small peers.

one of the problems folk like we have is not wanting to manage (i.e.
monitor, tune, ...) the bandwidth to 75 small peers at a meeting place.
we just want to plug one wire in (well, two for redundancy) and let the
packets fly.

of course, for the 10+ big-bandwidth peers, multiple point-to-point
interfaces is the current practice.  and it is here that we have hope that
aggregated layer one may pay off.  yet to be seen, of course.

randy