Re: UUNET peering policy

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Tue Jan 09 00:27:28 2001

[email protected] wrote:

> Rodney Joffe is being optimistic; the fact is that a network that
> exceeds the minimum requirements UUNET has published yet which has
> zero customers, is simply not going to get a no-settlement peering
> agreement with UUNET.   "Zero" here is a relative term.
>
>         Sean.
>
> | >If I understand the document correctly, anyone who meets their clear
> | >requirements will be able to exchange traffic with them at no charge.
> [...]
> | >Rodney Joffe
> | >CenterGate Research Group, LLC.

I believe that if you examine the UUNet requirements, it states:

First:
                          1.2
                              Traffic Exchange Ratio. The ratio of the
aggregate
                              amount of traffic exchanged between the
Requester and the
                              WorldCom Internet Network with which it
seeks to
                              interconnect shall be roughly balanced and
shall not exceed
                              1.5:1.
and second:
                          1.4
                              Traffic Volume. The aggregate amount of
traffic
                              exchanged in each direction over all
interconnection links
                              between the Requester and the WorldCom
Internet
                              Network with which it desires to
interconnect shall equal or
                              exceed 150 Mbps of traffic for
WorldCom-US, 30 Mbps
                              of traffic for WorldCom-Europe, and 5 Mbps
of traffic for
                              WorldCom-ASPAC

While it is theoretically possible that this could be achieved with no
customers (e.g. CNN, or Yahoo), I think it is highly unlikely that both
parts of the equation would hold up. What would a publisher possibly be
a receiver of that would equate to 100mbs in the US? And if they did,
why would they have local access points in 15 states?

Or am I missing something Sean?

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.
http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even we don't understand it!"(SM)