Re: Exchange point networks

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Mon Jan 08 19:23:43 2001

> Bill Woodcock writes:
> > DNS for the block provides useful information about which ISP they're
> > associated with, and contact info, and so forth.  IP addresses are
> > available for this purpose from Bill Manning, [email protected], who also
> > provides a management infrastructure for registering the in-addr names and
> > contact information.
>
> RIRs may also set aside addresses to be used for exchange points, and
> you may want to check with your local RIR for this address space.  It
> is generally a good thing to establish a relationship with the local
> RIR in any case.
>
> 				regards,
> 					Ted Hardie

	I'll agree that working with an IR is a good thing. However
	it really doesn't have to be the incubent RIR. LIRs work as
	well as folks (such as myself) with pre-RIR delegations.

	Its also true that having the address space held by a neutral party
	(not the realestate folks, the telco/transit guild, or the
	content farmers) can enhance the value and longevity of the
	exchange.

--bill