RE: Exchange point networks

  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene
  • Date: Mon Jan 08 17:02:56 2001

>     > The third is a route server. The route servers allow
>     > exchange participant to outsource the routing task (but not the
>     > forwarding of packets) to a specialized host within the exchange.
>
> I've also heard some semantic confusion between route-servers and route
> reflectors.  In conversation, I usually assume that distinction to be
> between functionally equivalent boxes operating in the plenum between a
> number of administrative domains (a route-server) or as glue between
> regions or ASes within one administrative domain (a route reflector).
> I don't know how common that understanding would be, though.  Anyone have
> any better thoughts on the difference between a route-server and a route
> reflector?

I've attempted to write that up in a whitepaper I'm doing for several IXP
projects in Africa (see http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/ixp/ - just
remember it is a draft and focused for non-US/Europe IXPs).

One key difference between a Router Server and Route Reflector is that a
Router Server allows for bi-lateral agreements. A Router Reflector forces
Multi-lateral on the whole IXP (see the history with HKIX.

Barry